Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

My 2011 sonata will not start. Starter relay clicks when the

Customer Question

My 2011 sonata will not start. Starter relay clicks when the switch is in the start position, but nothing else happens. Tried jumping it off and it made no difference. All the electrical is working properly
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 132,000. It hasn't given any trouble whatsoever prior to this morning
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet. Yes, I will be repairing it myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. That's all
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. My first inclination is that you have a faulty starter...but it would be wise to verify that you are getting a signal to the starter. There should be 2 wires attached to the starter, one is large and bolted on with a nut and the other is plugged in. To test, you will simply unplug this small wire and using a test light watch to see if voltage is sent to it when someone turns the key to the start position. If you do not have signal, then there is another issue, presumably between the relay and the starter if the relay is clicking. If you do have a signal, then you have a bad starter.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The starter is less than 6 months old and has given no indication of acting up. I'll definitely check though. Thank you

Not a problem, let me know what you come up with. I will mention that I have seen starters go out even sooner than that, It would certainly be worth a check.