Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have a 2001 Hyundai Accent with less than 130,000 miles.

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Hyundai Accent with less than 130,000 miles. It's been using more oil the last couple of years and had clutch hydraulic issue last November. I haven't noticed any noises or performance issues but the "check engine" light came on. The only thing I've noticed is mpg has gone down alot. What could be causing mpg to drop and make "check engine" light come on?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on.
JA: Are you fixing your Accent yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've checked oil levels, checked when running to see that all belts are moving as they should be. I have not yet contacted a repair shop.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It continues to start easily and seems to run fine while driving. Occasionally I will here a kind of screech sound if I accelerate past 25mph before shifting to third gear and the same sometimes if I accelerate in third gear past 40mph before shifting into 4th gear.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer.I value your input to my questions so I may help you better.It sounds like you have moer then one issue? I can help you with all of them but which one do you want to address first?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Definitely the reason the engine light might be on. I'd guess that's a fuel system thing if its burning gas so fast.

Not necessarily . IF the engine light is on or you have any drive-ability issues you have to get or have someone pull codes from the ECU to give us an idea where to start.How long ago did you tune it up , Have you ever done an injector power flush?