Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Put in a new fuel pump and won't start now, Yes, was just

Customer Question

Put in a new fuel pump and won't start now
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: Yes, was just replaced by mechanic and meineke
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2000 tiburon
JA: Are you fixing your Tiburon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: MechanIce at meineke and I are
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Reasons why won't work .
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 month ago.

Hi there.

I can probably help, but I need some clarification first; do you mean to say the mechanic replaced the pump without first performing a comprehensive diagnosis to see if it was indeed the cause of the no-start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was running fine before pump was replaced, it came into the shop to be replaced. Replaced pump and now wont start.

I'm sorry, but I'm even more confused now... If it was running fine, why then was the pump replaced? Will it start with the old pump? What is the mechanic saying is causing the engine to not start now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The fuel pump was causing some issue. It would start and run, not perfectly. Was drove into the shop. Brand new fuel pump put on it and now will not start

I see. What is the mechanic saying is causing the engine not to start now?

The engine in your Tiburon needs 4 things to run: compression (more than 120 psi across all cylinders), fuel pressure (35 to 40 psi), injector pulse and ignition spark.

Can you have your mechanic try to start the engine with starting fluid? If it does, we'll know compression and spark are good which leaves fuel pressure and injector pulse as possible culprits. If it doesn't crank over or doesn't start with starting fluid, then the issue could be caused by the anti-theft system, in which case we might be able to reset it.

Please let me know what your mechanic finds so we can continue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It starts with starting fluid

OK. Have him check fuel pressure - should be 35 to 40 psi. If OK, then have him put a Noid light on one of the injector connectors and check for injector pulse while the engine is cranking over. If no fuel pressure, then have him check for power and ground at the pump he just installed - he might have blown a fuse.

Please let me know what he finds.