George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Bank 1 sensor 1 o2 sensor on 2006 tuscun...... looks like

Customer Question

bank 1 sensor 1 o2 sensor on 2006 tuscun...... looks like you have to remove it using Braill any tips or is it just a mirror and feel job.
JA: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model of your '06 Hyundai?
Customer: Tuscon 2006 v6
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i am and was wondering if i have to remove any intake parts, easy to remove from top or bottom and is a mirror to be used and have to go by feel as i can touch just cant see anything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 3 months ago.

Hello I will help,

I have scars from these but they can be done without removing anything but the sensor.

Reach in behind the engine and unplug the sensor, look to the front bank so you can see what needs to be done to get it to come loose. Long sleeves and a cold engine help.

Then from the bottom with a crow's foot O2 sensor wrench, 3/8 drive swivel head, bent handle ratchet and a 3 inch extension with a short cheater pipe on the ratchet break the sensor loose from the exhaust. Once loose they do turn out by hand and you can screw the new one in as well only using the wrench to tighten it (no cheater pipe needed to tighten).

I find it easier with the vehicle on a lift but this is how I do them in the shop.

I do have scars from doing B 1 S1 on the 2.7 over the years.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you cannot access from bottom as cross member is there even with small hand and arms, also crowsfoot wrench will not fit on as heat shield has a circular opening that restricts it from fitting in . A sensor socket will work . I have looked it over an will be removing intake manifold and have full access . just need to get new gasket in case it tears

The crowsfoot type has an extension when it is a dedicated o2 wrench. The "book time to do these is 1.4 hours but you can cheat that with the right tools hence the scars. I have done hundreds over the years.

If you go the manifold route don't bother with a gasket it is multi layer steel and does not tear.

Sorry you decided to go your own way with this, I will OPT OUT of your question