Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai

Second opinion] - 2004 elantra timing

Customer Question

Second opinion] - 2004 elantra timing
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 6 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a certified Hyundai and Kia techncian, How can I help?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
ill try to get you a few pics when the sun pops up if needed but here is the full details of my issue, replaced timing belt thinking everything was fine. Car started right up end of story right? Nope, check engine light threw me a 0335 code. So in response to that I replaced the position sensor and while I was at it replaced the variable timing sensor hoping tghat would do the trick, not so lucky though. So that left me with my next step which was hoping the belt slipped a tooth or something while putting it back together, So what Im seeing now is cam timing gear is in line with the hole in the gear and head, white tho not red but crank gear appears to be off by 4 teeth . My question is , is it just a matter of loosening that crank gear and setting that so thgat it is in line with its timing mark?
What you'll need to do is remove the belt, turn the crank so it's lined up with the mark on the block. Then reinstall the belt starting at the crank, then to the idler on the right side, then the cam, then finish on the left side and tighten the tensioner. Once the belt is on and tight spin the motor over at least four times and check again if it's on time. If it is you should be all set. Let me know how it works out or if you have any other questions.
If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.