George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

2004 elantra timing

Customer Question

2004 elantra timing
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
replaced timing belt, now camshaft timing marks and crank marks do not align
Expert:  George H. replied 4 months ago.

Hello I will help,

Are you looking through the hole in the timing gear to see the red mark on the head for the cam timing?

Are you using the mark on the oil pump at about the 1:00 position and the dot on the tooth of the crank gear for the crank position?

Can you post pictures of what you are seeing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
all of the above are yes, ill try to get you a few pics when the sun pops up if needed but here is the full details of my issue, replaced timing belt thinking everything was fine. Car started right up end of story right? Nope, check engine light threw me a 0335 code. So in response to that I replaced the position sensor and while I was at it replaced the variable timing sensor hoping tghat would do the trick, not so lucky though. So that left me with my next step which was hoping the belt slipped a tooth or something while putting it back together, So what Im seeing now is cam timing gear is in line with the hole in the gear and head, white tho not red but crank gear appears to be off by 4 teeth . My question is , is it just a matter of loosening that crank gear and setting that so thgat it is in line with its timing mark?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I must have found 400 videos and or tutorials on how to change the belt , but not one single post anywhere about how to correct the timing should it be off..unless IM TOTALY missing something

Yes, first thing is to set the crank to its mark while the cam stays in place. Did you pull the chain off the cam shafts? have the cam shafts been out of the head for any reason?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no, only things touched are the parts needed to swap the belt itself, alternator, power steering pump, engine mount, pulleys, etc.. is you wouldnt by chance have a link detailing what needs to be done would you? that way I can rate your assist, get you paid and be on my merry way..

Good, then all you need to do is set the belt timing correctly.

I don't have a link, as you say there are many videos showing how to install the belt.

First put the cam on it's mark

Next release the tension on the belt

Pull enough slack to the crank pulley so you can turn the crank back to it's mark with all the slack on the tensioner side of the belt

Place your thumb on the tension pulley and apply moderate pressure while you tighten the pulley bolt

Turn the crank through two revolutions and check the marks, if you are off a tooth repeat the procedure.

If you have trouble getting all the slack on the tensioner side of the belt put the crank one tooth before its mark, install the belt and turn the crank up to it's mark while keeping pressure on the tension pulley with your thumb.

Please let me know how I can help you with this and any questions you have

Thanks