Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2009 hyundai sante fe. All of a sudden lost power. Check

Customer Question

2009 hyundai sante fe. All of a sudden lost power. Check engine light flashes so I shut it off. Restarted and ran great for about 5 miles and then the same thing. It has cam sensor code and P0300 P0302, P0304, P0306.????????
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

The first thing to do with a whole bunch of trouble codes all on one bank of this engine is to check the oil level. This engine uses oil pressure to control the camshaft timing. If the oil level is low or the oil is very dirty it won't advance the timing like it's supposed to and it will trigger a trouble code on whichever side of the engine had the least oil pressure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oil is fine. If I watch the scanner bank 2 intake voltage jumps all over when 5he engine is running bad and stabilized when the engine is smooth.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Any idea what cam code was coming up?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure the genius at autozone cleared it.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Well that was helpful of him.

It sounds like you either have a bad oil control valve (some call it a VVT solenoid) or a bad cam sensor. I would probably start by replacing the cam sensor on bank 2. How long has it been since the last oil change?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will check on the oil.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

The oil control valves rarely go bad. 95% of the time when we see these codes and symptoms the vehicle is just in dire need of an oil change.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
oil change fixed it. Thanks a lot
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

That's what I was hoping would do it.

Please let me know if you need help in the future.