Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Gear shift sticks in neutral/drive or park after driving

Customer Question

gear shift sticks in neutral/drive or park after driving awhile. Replaced brake light switch with oem part.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: brake fluid is fine. mechanic did oil change and checked all fluids yesterday. previously replaced switch with generic so bought oem and replaced today.
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2011 tucson limited
JA: Are you fixing your Tucson yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked fuses both fuse boxes and replaced brake light switch
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, you can switch on the cruise control and the light will come on. It will not engage but will go out when the gear shift is locked. Everything resets when you turn the engine off and start again.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
  • Is there possibly an issue with coke or coffee spilled into the shifter?

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am available today Let me know when.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is acting like the stop light switch is bad but I have replaced it with a generic and oem and neither works. All fuses checked.

The shift interlock that is energized from a brake applied command will effect the shifters ability to come out of park and in some rare cases the ability to go back into park. If there are other shifter related issues then its not the brake switch nor the shift lock doing this. Are you noticing other issues from the shifter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No issues other than the cruise control
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Only other thing I can think of is a bad speed sensor but I am not getting a CEL.

Are you noticing other issues from the shifter outside of what I said can be a result of the shift lock or brake switch?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, but I do not do a lot of highway driving so have not noticed any shifting/rpm issues.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just the cruise control light going out and failing to engage
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
From before: Also, you can switch on the cruise control and the light will come on. It will not engage but will go out when the gear shift is locked. Everything resets when you turn the engine off and start again.

We are only allowed to help diagnose and fix one concern per question. What issue on the car are you wanting me to help with?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is the same issue.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I start the engine and the shifter works fine. Cruise control light comes on when pushed but won't engage. After a few minutes, cruise control light goes out and shifter will not go into park.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After that, unless I turn the engine off, I have to use the shifter unlock switch each time to get out of park or back into park.

I can not find the connection between the shift lock and the cruise light. I will remove myself from the post and opt out.