Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

Ran fine. Parked for 30 minutes. Won't start. Just crank but

Customer Question

Ran fine. Parked for 30 minutes. Won't start. Just crank but not even a try at firing. Tried starter fluid to see if it would even fire that way. Nope. Nothing. Put jumpers on to make sure there was enough voltage. Nothing. New plugs and wires 2 day prior to that. Ran fine until the problem yesterday.
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: Don't know how to check the fuel supply, but with starter fluid? That' fuel. I checked two of the plugs. They were getting spark. Blue spark and orange spark.
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2002 Elantra
JA: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried the spark. There is spark. Tried the starting fluid. Nothing fires. Jumped the battery to provide adequate voltage. The plugs and wires were replaced 3 days ago and it ran fine for two days prior to the shut down. Yes, I'm trying to fix myself since I live nearly 150 miles from nowhere.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you.What color is your spark? How many miles on your car?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I put the color in the original message above. If close to the ground, it was blue, If away about an inch it was orange.
It isn't my car. it's my daughter's and I don't know the mileage.

Thanx for that info, if spark is blue that's good and you tried the quick start trick and didn't even kick? I'm suspecting timing possibility or compression so lets eliminate one. Has the timing belt ever bin checked or replaced? I'll supply procedure to do that

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It was running fine when it was parked. 30 minutes later it won't. What would cause timing to go off while sitting?
If the spark was always orange, then what would be the problem? Could it be a sensor problem? If so, which one?
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 14 days ago.

check all your engine and ignition fuses they will be marked. also I will give you procedure for checking the coil packs. Measurement of the primary coil resistance Measure the resistance between connector terminals i and 2 (the coils at the No.3 and No.6 cylinder sides) of the ignition coil and between terminals 2 and 4 (the coils at the No.2 and No.5 cylinder sides), and between terminals 2 and 3 (the coils at the No.1 and No. 4 cylinder sides).
Standard value: 0.74 ±10% (Ohms) Measurement of the secondary coil resistance Measure the resistance between the high-voltage terminal for the No.3 and No.6 cylinders, between the high-voltage terminals for the No.1 and No.4 cylinders and between the high-voltage terminals for the No.2 and No.5 cylinders.
Standard value: 13.3 ±15% (K Ohms)
CAUTION: When measuring the resistance of the secondary coil, be sure to disconnect the connector of the ignition coil.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
This is a four cylinder engine.
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 13 days ago.

Then this check will work on your coil packs too. Check them as if they can cause a bad spark if defective.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
where is the coil pack. If I knew this stuff I wouldn't have to ask.

that's ok when we work on new models and makes we have to also.I'll send you some picks that may help. there you go just follow the spark plug wires back to the coil pack.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Nothing has worked. Still won't try to ignite.
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 9 days ago.

well I am going to opt out so perhaps another expert may shed some light on this issue and help you better, good luck and hope your problem gets solved

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Does that mean I get a refund on my money?