Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

Where is the egr valve located on a 2006 hyundai sonata

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a Hyundai Sonata 2006 and the engine dyes in lower RPM. Also the light "Check EGR" has been on for a couple of weeks.
After some googling I found the EGR valve can cause that problem. My question: Where is the egr valve located on a 2006 hyundai sonata?
thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I already bought the EGR valve, just need a picture or drawing showing where it is located.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Which size engine do you have in this? 4 cylinder or 6?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
4

Ok, thanks,

Please give me a few minutes to look for a diagram for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok

Sorry to say but it doesn't appear this model year has an egr on it.

There are no codes for the egr and there isn't any location for it. when I do a search in the service manual it doesn't appear. I assume the light you are getting is a check engine light and not a check egr light.

Sorry, it just doesn't have one.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
then, what is causing the engine to die in low rpm

A common problem would be the mass air flow sensor. This is the sensor bolted to the air filter box. Try unplugging it and see if the engine will start and idle on it's own without revving it up and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that's the word: idle. engine stall in idle.
The car is not here right now but I will try that and let you know tomorrow. Is that ok?

Sure, that's no problem at all.

Also, some states allow parts stores to scan the computer and get the codes for you. If you have a large parts store in the area like Autozone, they will do this for you at no charge.

So, if you get a chance to get that, it might help us figure out what's happening here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was able to get to the car earlier than I thought. Not sure If you still there, but here it goes.
I removed the connector of the mass air flow sensor, but the engine behaved the same: runs fine around 200 RPM or more, but if release the gas pedal and let it go below 100 RPM, the engine dies/stalls.
PS. I removed (opened) the air flow box, but still stalls bellow rpm.

Ok

Next try removing the IAC and cleaning it up with carb cleaner. Sometimes these will cause the problem due to binding.

I am sending you a diagram so you can identify the part.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I will try that. But before, can you please tell me if the part showing in the attached picture is the throttle position sensor?
I disconnected (pulled out the connector), turned on the key, and for my surprise the engine worked in idle very quiet and without any hiccups. However it didn't accelerate when I stepped in the gas. the gas pedal didn't work when the connector shown in the picture was pulled out.

That is the TPS on the throttle. I am not sure if the TPS is something you can replace on these throttle bodys or if the whole throttle body is required.