FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Experience:  Master Automotive Technician
1627031

My sonata hybrid battery is dead, therefore I cannot open

Customer Question

my sonata hybrid battery is dead, therefore I cannot open the trunk to jump start it... I was on vacation for 2 weeks - the car is the first year hybrid, so I think the battery is 5+ years old... The car in in a garage so getting a tow truck to move it will be very difficult
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: I cannot get to the battery because the trunk release on the dash board will not work and the trunk release on the key fob will not work. If I could open the trunk, I can test and change the battery
JA: What year is your Sonata Hybrid?
Customer: 2011 - the first year it was sold in the US
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to replace the battery, but I cannot get to it. I tried to start it, tried to open the trunk, no lights, the key fob - unlock function does not work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
a
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the battery is in the trunk
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** vehicle should have a separate key lock on the trunk and yo should have a key with the fob that is made to open the trunk. If you do not have this on your car then you should be able to open the hood and jump the car from the jumper points under the hood. This would allow you to get enough voltage to pop the trunk open. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need anything else.