Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a 04 Santa Fe. Wont pass emissions. Engine light

Customer Question

I have a 04 Santa Fe. Wont pass emissions. Engine light won't turn off. 2 coils replaced. Attempt to reset obd 2 with various driving cycles unsuccessful. After 300 + miles engine light on again & obd 2 still not reset. Up to 500 + miles attempting to reset with no success.
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: Yes. Emissions vehicle Inspection station has.
JA: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Repairs done by repair shop that did inspection. He replaced ignition coil & spark plugs
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The mechanic at the inspection station is at a loss to how to move forward & advised me to google driving cycle fixes for obd2
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 2 months ago.

Hi there.

Going by your post, it looks as though there is a fault code that has not been repaired and that's preventing the OBD monitors from completing during the drive cycle.

Any qualified Emissions technician should be able to address this issue - the fact that your mechanic can't seems to indicate he does not have the technical knowledge to do so. My advice at this point is for you to ask for a refund and take your vehicle to a qualified shop where they're familiar with and have the necessary tools to work on your Hyundai.

Optionally, I could guide you or a person of your choice through the correct diagnostic and repair procedures - please be aware that whomever gets to perform the procedures would need access to tools such as a capable scanner, scope, etc. and the skills to use them.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Juan Crespo. I have felt that I need someone more qualified than the safety and emissions mechanic where I took my vehicle. He has me in the hole for over $500 in parts & labor already, then tells me he's at a loss & can't figure it out & for me to google it. What can I reasonably ask for as far as a refund?

Well, if you took your vehicle to him for the specific purpose of passing emissions, anything he has charged you for that purpose should be refunded - you should also report him to your local Better Business Bureau for shoddy business practice. People like him give us auto mechanics a bad name and should not be allowed to keep ripping off customers.

Best Regards.