sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Crank no start, no spark, no gas. I know plugs, coil, plug

Customer Question

crank no start, no spark, no gas. I know plugs, coil, plug wires, cam & crank pos sensors are ok. It appears it's either the ecm relay or ecm itself
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 97 hyundai elantra currently won't start
JA: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: changed coil and crank/cam pos sensors.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have already taken it to a mechanic and he suggested It was the ecm due to the no spark no fuel combo
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're missing spark and fuel both at the same time then an engine controller issue is very likely. The problem could be internal in the ECM or it could be missing a power or ground feed.

What needs to be done is see if it communicates with a scan tool. If not and fuses are good then the ECM powers and grounds will need to be tested to ensure there isn't a wiring issue, and if ok then the ECM can be condemned.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I've pulled an ECM and relay. I will pass this info on to my mechanic as I'm leaving the country in a few hours, hopefully he's willing to give it a go and it works....we'll see when I get back!

Sounds great!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He said he wouldn't install the ECU, because I pulled it, but that I should try the master relay I pulled first and then if no dice the ecu. Can you direct me to a schematic for testing ecu and relay ? Ohm load etc.
Lol, I'm no electrical engineer you get my drift. I have a volt meter and a test light probe

Has any testing been done yet? The first thing that needs to be done is see if the ECM will communicate with a scan tool.