George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years

For the second year, replaced battery and now readiness

Customer Question

for the second year, replaced battery and now readiness monitors, catalyst and oxygen sensors, are not resetting and didn't respond to hyundai drive cycle
JA: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?
Customer: i actually haven't looked
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2004
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: a mechanic/shop tried two drive cycles yesterday and just researching
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i read replacing oxygen sensors has helped many people in my situation with the same model car, however, i just learned there are 4 sensors
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  thomas hill replied 24 days ago.

hi my name is ***** ***** will be helping you today. so the older Hyundai's are hard to get the monitors to set and the print out that tells you to drive it to get them to set does not work the only way to get them to set is to just drive it around just like you normally would and it will pass them over some time it can take a long time sometimes

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
That will not work but thank you. I already addressed this issue last year and that is what I was told that last year. You can't just do any drive cycle for the 2004 sonata. If you do research, people with my model and certain models have the exact same issue. I found a Mode 6 Diagnostic Certified Specialist through NAPPA. They utilize a specialized diagnostic tool which reads the computer and dictates the appropriate drive cycle and issues with incomplete readiness. They also do this on a dyno machine, as the cycle is complicated and unsafe on roads. My car is fixed. Excessive C02 debris was coating the oxygen sensors and cat sensor. I would think Hyundai would be aware of a common problem with their cars. A little research on the internet reveals everyone has the same problem with certain models.