Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I have a 2003 Elantra GT with a bad 2.0 NON CVVT motor. Can

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Elantra GT with a bad 2.0 NON CVVT motor. Can I use a CVVT motor? Obviously the CVVT will be left disconnected, just curious if there are any snags along the way. Thank you for your time.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: It's an automatic with 130,000 miles. It's one of the motors that had the thrust washers installed backward from the factory and failed.
JA: What year is your Th!nk?
Customer: The replacement CVVt motor is a 2004
JA: Are you fixing your Th!nk yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't understand
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I will be doing the install myself
JA: Got it. Anything else you want the Hyundai Mechanic to know before I set up your one-on-one?
Customer: I can't think of anything else at the moment
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hi im kevin this could be done but it would be at large expense as you will need to replace wiring loom and engine control unit also and the car will need to be reprogrammed to get it to run correctly

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Please rate my service and let me know of you need anything else at all

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you're telling me that a CVVT motor will not run with the CVVT solenoid unplugged?
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

It will run but will lack in power .the cylinder head is different fron non cvvt

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is the lack of power due to the intake camshaft being in a fixed state as opposed to being variable? Hyundai only rated the CVVT motor 3-4hp higher than a non-CVVT motor.
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Its the way the power is delivered that is different .the looms on the engine are also listed as different .which would suggest there are plugs in different places otherwise normally they use the same loom on both