adamfeather, Technician
Experience:  Master automotive technician ,ASE master certified,associates degree in automotive technology

Tucson 2006 rear defroster not working, light on the

Customer Question

Tucson 2006 rear defroster not working, light on the pushbutton is on and able to locate relay below the wheel that if i pulled out light on pb comes off
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 175,000km almost 4 yrs now
JA: Are you fixing your Tucson yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes because the last timedealership broke it and replaced with new window 3 yrs ago
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have continuity on the heater between terminals on defroster but no voltage
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  adamfeather replied 28 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you! I have an associates degree in automotive technology, I’m ASE certified, with 15 total years in the field. Let me gather some information to help. I'll send it as I find it in the next few minutes.

Have you noticed if you can feel or hear this relay click as you try to turn the rear defrost on and off? Wait a few seconds between attempts and let me know if it clicks or not?

What year is your Tucson so I can research your issue more accurately? Also if you know the engine size I may need it, but the year if fine for now.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
2006 2.7 i hear the click on the relay and i am getting 14.4V from both pins of the contact, i am hoping its the right relay (blue) below the handwheel. My problem is i dont have diagram to trace or is it connected on the wiper heater as well. I am pretty sure the defroster is disconnected somehwere but dont know where to start.

OK. I see. Thanks for the info. If you have a voltmeter you can also try to check power from one side of the heating grid to the other. Chances are you don't have power but if you do there may be a break in the heating grid. You can check by placing the red lead one one side of the grid and the black on the other. You can gently touch the grid from the inside of the window with the leads to check power at multiple spots across the grid. Check in a few spots to make sure there is no power at all. If there is power out of the relay but not reaching the grid then you are right in assuming there is a break somewhere in between. I'll see if I can send you a schematic to help!

While its on my mind check the wiring running through from the body to the hatch. As you open the hatch you should be able to see a loom passing through. You can try to wiggle it and see if it brings power back to the grid.(this may take 2 people). Because the wiring is constantly flexing it can be a common problem I see in the field. Sending more info.....

Here are some diagrams that should help.
Fuse layout
Fuse details
Another locator
Here is the wiring diagram. Should be a big help. Note there is 3 fuses involved. Make sure to check all 3.

Hopefully this is helpful! As always feel free to ask for any further info or advice. Let me know how the testing goes and if I can be of further assistance.

I also found this that may be helpful.
Expert:  adamfeather replied 26 days ago.

I just wanted to follow up to ask if you're satisfied with your experience and whether I adequately answered your question? If not I will be glad to provide further information.

If you feel I adequately answered your question please click “accept” and rate my services if you wish. Positive feedback is what I strive for. Because I am a private expert for Just Answer I only get paid for accepted answered. Rest assured even after accepting I will always respond back ASAP to any further questions.

Thanks again and I hope I was helpful!