Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.

The fuel guage is not moving. wondering if that affects the

Customer Question

the fuel guage is not moving. wondering if that affects the distance to empty reading
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: starts fine. just bought this used car and the gas needle is on empty even though I filled the tank.
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe limited
JA: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing, nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the check engine light is also on
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 26 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 26 days ago.

This will affect the distance till empty reading. If the computer doesn't know how much gas is in it, then it can't calculate the value to come up with that information.

More then likely the code is for the fuel sending unit. If possible I would talk to the previous owner and find out if they have already replaced the fuel sending unit or fuel pump module to try and resolve the problem. If they did, then it's either a wiring issue or the instrument panel causing the problem.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
there is a direct relation between a non working needle and the DTE reading ( they are not independent- Correct?)
Expert:  Mike V. replied 25 days ago.

That is correct, if the computer isn't receiving any fuel info from the gas gauge, it cannot determine how many miles of fuel you have left in the car, therefore cannot calculate how many miles of fuel are left.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 23 days ago.

I haven't heard back from you and noticed you hadn't rated yet, do you need further assistance?