eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase certified, imac, macs, bridhestone certified

I need to add transmission fluid or flush it then add. My

Customer Question

I need to add transmission fluid or flush it then add. My car barely wants to accelerate up hills and manually switching gears doesn't feel right
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: recently I had my oil changed and they said I needed to have it flushed and topped off with more fluid, but I could not afford this service at the time it was a little over a month ago
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2007 accent
JA: Are you fixing your Accent yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not a mechanic. however, if it is an easy fix I would be willing to do it myself to save money. I didn't know if just adding more transmission fluid would help out for the mean time until I can afford a professional job or not
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  eauto replied 28 days ago.

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
is the engine light on?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Expert:  eauto replied 28 days ago.

what are the codes?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Not sure. Im not a mechanic
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Please tell me what transmission fluid i need and how to drain old fluid and add new fluid
Expert:  eauto replied 28 days ago.

Check for leaks from the transmission. If there are leaks, it is necessary to repair or replace O-ring, seal packings, oil seals, plugs or other parts.

Zoom Sized for Print

Park the vehicle at even straight surface.
Before removing the oil level gauge, wipe all contaminants from around the oil level gauge.
Set the select lever to the "P"position and engage the parking brake and then start the engine.
Drive the vehicle until the fluid reaches normal. (80-90 °C(176- 194 °F) )
Move the select lever through all positions. This will fill the torque converter with transaxle fluid. Set the select lever to the "N"(Neutral) position.
Check that the fluid level is the "HOT"mark on the oil level gauge. If fluid level is low, add automatic transaxle fluid until the level reaches the "HOT" mark. Automatic transaxle fluid: GENUINE DIAMOND ATF SP-III or SK ATF SP-III
Quantity: 6.11 (6.4 US qt, 5.4 Imp.qt)

NOTE: Low fluid level can cause a variety of abnormal conditions because it allows the pump to take in air along with fluid. Air trapped in the hydraulic system forms bubbles, which are compressible.

Therefore, pressures will be erratic, causing delayed shifting, slipping clutches and brakes, etc. Improper filling can also raise fluid level too high. When the transaxle has too much fluid, gears chum up foam and cause the same conditions which occur with low fluid level, resulting in accelerated deterioration of automatic transaxle fluid. In either case, air bubbles can cause overheating, and fluid oxidation, which can interfere with normal valve, clutch, and brake operation.

Foaming can also result in fluid escaping from the transaxle vent where it may be mistaken for a leak.

Also check the condition of the transaxle fluid. If the fluid smells as if it is burning, it means that the fluid has been contaminated by fine particles from the bushes and friction material, a transaxle overhaul may be necessary.

Inspect the condition of fluid on the oil level gauge. For the detail check, drain some of the oil fluid out of the pump and then inspect the condition of the oil fluid.

After checking, insert the oil level gauge into the oil filler tube securely.

Zoom Sized for Print

When new, automatic transaxle fluid should be red, The red dye is added so the assembly plant can identify it as transaxle fluid and distinguish it from engine oil or antifreeze. The red dye, which is not an indicator of fluid quality, is not permanent. As the vehicle is driven the transaxle fluid will begin to look darker The color may eventually appear light brown.

But, the transaxle should be overhauled under the following conditions.
If there is a "burning" door.
If the fluid the color has become noticeably blacker
If there is a noticeably excessive amount of metal particle in the fluid.