Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a 06 sonata the trans is in limp mode (3rd gear) code

Customer Question

I have a 06 sonata the trans is in limp mode (3rd gear) code is p0717 changed both input & output sensors no change. need some place else to look
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: You have that code P0717
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new speed sensors
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am retired but still have my tools including a Snap-On
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 2 months ago.

Hi there.

Nowadays, a scan tool that can read and display sensor data and a scope to confirm the signals are essential tools needed to accurately and efficiently diagnose these computerized systems.

In this particular case, code P0717 tells us that an output pulse signal was not detected from the input speed sensor when the vehicle was going faster than 30 KPH, which prompted the onboard computer (PCM) to put the system in FAIL-SAFE mode.

99% of the times, this type of fault is caused not by bad sensors, but instead by bad connections or wiring preventing the signals from getting to the PCM. I can upload the diagnostic procedures for the three circuits involved, Ground, Power and Signal; would that help you?