Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

2011 Elantra 1.8 rattles when first starting, goes away 2

Customer Question

2011 Elantra 1.8 rattles when first starting, goes away 2 seconds after it starts
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Timing chain tensioner I think,just started
JA: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Wanted to, can't find much on it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. please be patient as I review my notes on this issue.

Toyota have this problem on a few of their models and what we found was the vvt drums on the camshafts to be faulty but Hyundai is messing around with the idea of the chain tension rs , but that hasn't bin verified yet. Here are the possible causes and some things you can try to lessen or eliminate the issue. use an OME oil filter change the oil and try synthetic 5/20 then get a hold of Hyundai customer service and voice your concern and what Toyota done to resolve this issue, What this is , is oil pressure not pressent enogh at a certain part on start up clear and simple.Hope this helps you with this issue and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.