david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

OVER HEATING, I own and opp a automotive shop.I have never

Customer Question

OVER HEATING
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: I own and opp a automotive shop.I have never seen anything like this. Cust complains of over heating I have yet to see this happen.Just turned the car off after running it for 4 hrs.Fans are coming on therm changed,full of coolant,fuses good relay good.Fan runs on low speed like it should turn on ac fan go's on high speed one fan does it both don't under stand it.
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2010 sonata 2.4l
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just told you in upper message
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Cary York replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

Have you driven the vehicle to see if it overheats driving and road speeds?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did test drive it and it did not overheat.I put a OEM thermostat in the car that is 180 degrees.I have a maximus 2.0 scanner plug it in and it showed it running about 192 degrees.I looked on identifix and it tells the trouble tree that I went all through and everything looks to be okay.One site I went on said a ground on top of the motor will cause this problem but don't see one anywhere only on the engine mount.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Fan is working and I do know that they run on low speed and when you turn the ac on it go's on high speed as they only use one fan for both.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you puzzled as much as I am.

Sorry I will have to opt out so another expert can help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Told ya never seen anything like it,thanks for trying.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The cust just told me that every since she had a car starter put in the car has done this over heating thing but not all the time.I don't see were this would make it over heat.
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David. so you're saying that the one fan comes on with the ac on and runs on high. and one of fan comes on even when not up to temp?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi David,there is only one fan that does both.When the car is up to running temp fan comes on.And it runs on low speed as it should,When you turn the ac on the fan go's on high speed like it should.One fan does cooling and ac.Only two relays both good.Now I was on one post on another site that said there was a ground on top of the engine that was repair by a dealer and it fixed the problem what they called was a short making the gauge screw up giving you the wrong temp reading.Another site said dealer change the temp cluster and that did not fix the problem.I went on Identifix went through the trouble tree and everything looks to be okay.I have been a mechanic for 36 years own my own shop for 10 of that 36 years and have never seen anything like this and never had a car i could not fix and this could be my first.

so its the condenser fan that is doing both and the radiator fan not operating?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dave I'm going to explain this the best that I can.The fan in front of the radiator cools the engine and it runs on low speed when the engine reaches temp and that is the way it supposed to work,And when you turn the ac on it go's from low speed to high speed and that is the way it is supposed to work.Now the problem I'm having is temp gauge is going all the way up. Cust told me last night she had a after market car starter added after she bought the car and that's when this all started with the gauge rising up.I my self have only seen it happen once.Let car run for 4 hrs yesterday with and with out ac on and did not do it at all.Had my wife take it from my shop drove it 50 miles the needle went up very little and came back down just under the half way mark.Put a OEM thermostat in last week 180 degrees filled it with coolant and no problems at all.Cust called me sat telling me it's doing it again put my maximus scanner on it and it shows it running around 196 degrees the same as when I held my thermometer to the thermostat housing.I did read about a ground on top of the engine that had fixed the same problem on 2 other cars within 2 years apart that I have been unable to fine.I don't know where to go from here.First car that I have not been able to fix in all my years of working on them.This is all that I can tell you but one fan takes care of engine cooling and the ac.Two relays 1 for cooling and 1 for the ac,Again no condenser fan one fan does both with the hi low relays

got it.

are you finding any accessory grounds on your prints???

im going to pull up some prints.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No,Do you think it could be a temp sensor acting up ? And like I said Dave she said after having the car starter installed that's when the b/s started but I can't fine a problem there.Do you know where that ground is on the motor that they are talking about as all I can fine is one going to engine mount.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay thanks.

actually i dont. but, have you followed the ground for the temp sensor to the ecm to see if the wiring for the remote starter is maybe running near it and clamped or tied to it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did Dave as I was thinking the same thing but is not tied in or clamped to any wires that would have anything to do this.And followed ground from sensor to ecm looks good.

how about a wiggle test at the temp sensor to see if the gauge jumps

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
tried that yesterday did not jump around

ok. lets replace the temp sensor then. in the meantime im going to do some digging. by the way, have you scoped the sensor?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
seemed to be alright.But like I said it only did it once to me so if I put sensor in I won't know till I give it back to her to and see if it does it again.

and thats why i want to dig some more.....

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay,Just talked to her and if I can't fine the problem by days end she's coming for it and going to trade it in for a Honda,way better choice.But would like to fix it.

ok. lets try this. take all of the grounds off of wherever they are in the engine bay, burnish the mounting areas and reinstall. not sure how many there are. also, how does the main ground to the block from the battery look? and, it wouldny be a bad idea to add another ground from the battery negative to the fenderwell or radiator support.

or just disable the frickin remote start...........lol

you know as well as i do that the more electronics on a car the more shit is going to get interrupted

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay lol

good luck with it. please accept the answer and leave me a 5 star rating. thats the only way i get credit for my assistance. i can keep this open after you rate me if you'd like. thank.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay leave open

ok i will

you can still rate me, and ill leave it open. it doesnt cost anymore.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Don't charge my credit card.

i have no control over charging your card. i will opt out i have given you more than enough information.

good luck to you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dave I did all the research and everything yesterday before anybody talked to me as I knew what I was doing as I said before 35 years I've been doing this.And the 2 before you asked me the same stuff over and over again.Look at my notes that was posted to both of them.And if I accept answer was billed for nothing as car is leaving here not fixed and I myself am not making a dime on this with 2 days on it sorry.And I do not want to talk to another tech as I'm going nowhere and there going to ask the same stuff over again.And I call the cust and she's on her way to get it thanks.

and you will be flagged as a customer who does not accept answers.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was not given a correct answers you nor any one else could tell me what is wrong with this car.So you want me to accept a answer that did not fix the problem so you will get a rating as I see you have none.Read as it says and states if the problem is not fixed by our techs you will not be charged and the $5.00 will be refund back to you I do read.And I have used this site before and rated and payed and was completely satisfied.So to keep passing me from one tech to another does not make any since to me as you are the 3rd one.If you would like I can call cust service and tell them about this problem you and I are having.I'm sure they would not like it by a business owner like myself,Or contact your boss thank you and have a good day.