George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years

I have replace wires,plugs and coils on my 2002 hyundai

Customer Question

i have replace wires,plugs and coils on my 2002 hyundai santa fe it jump fire making a spark jump noise
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: yes and yes
JA: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: wires plugs coils
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no it will run it was doing that be for i did a tune up
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
po421 code is on also it said to link to 9141
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I have talk to all of tec the car has been to Hyundai 2 times thay have not been able to find the problem I am a master mechanic with 35years experience in automotive you can give it a try

Can you better explain the concern?

it jump fire making a spark jump noise

no it will run it was doing that be for i did a tune up

I can not make alot of sense on what you wrote.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It has a miss no one can get out ever it jump fire

What liter engine?

Which cylinder has the miss?

What do you mean by "jump fire?"

Have you checked the compression, fuel pressure, and fuel injectors?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2.0 yes yes new
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
53,694 miles on car

Sorry, but I am getting little to no info from your responses. I can not help you resolve this with the small replies I am getting. I am going to opt out and let someone else help you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you are driving the car when it jump fire and you are close to something metal it will knot the CRAP out of you
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David. you are extremely difficult to understand as to exactly what your problem is. 'When you are driving and close to something metal it will jump fire and knock the crap out of you"???? what the heck does that mean??? if you're driving and you touch something metal inside the car, you get shocked????

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you get shocked we have narrowed it down to number 1 cylinder. We have changed The coil three times One from O'Reillys, one from Hyundai and one from Napa . The car has been at the dealer two times the first time they seem to think that it was something to do with the security components and charge me over $400 and still did not fix the car. Took it back they said that it was on number one Coil. I told them that I had just put one on from O'Reillys. They acted as if the one from O'Reillys was junk. If you start the car it takes a few minutes for it to start clicking like or Poppin like electrical jumping from one place to another you can hear it and feel it depending on what you were touching. If you're outside the car and cut the lights off in the shop you can see the electric jumping at different locations I know this is weird it's got me stumped also . Supposedly Hyundai dealer got the Hyundai manufacture engineer involved. After the second time Hyundai dealer said that it messed up their scanner with a high-voltage short. Now they are still Confused. Now with all that has been replaced and labor I've got over $1000 in the car. Just wanted to see if anyone in cyber land has had the same problem the vehicle is kept inside driven very rarely. Uses high test gasoline. With no ethanol. It is had new plugs new wires new cool pack a used radio with the security system built-in it also it's had the security system Control replaced. I am a certified master mechanic with 35 years experience I can trick it and make it click pop or jump fire whatever you want to call it by cutting the nation on getting the timing marks almost lined up take a wrench turn the engine just passed were number one cylinder gets its fire and you can hear it jump fire click or pop. I have even tried the old remedy of dragging a strap from the car to the road. None of this stuff makes a difference. But again this is a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe four-cylinder automatic this car is loaded with all the extras. Not going to keep putting money in a bad hole. For people that don't understand that phrase. It means that I'm not gonna spend more money on this car. I have considered trading it off for a new automobile so if you can help me with something intelligent or something that I have not already tried it would be greatly appreciated. If you have questions I will answer . If I'm not giving enough information just say so. But I have service the car since it was new every 2500 miles or change filters and tires rotated. This thing has been doing it the symptom for the last 2 1/2 months. The vehicle has never been wrecked it's only had one set of tires put on it. It's not use for towing. It's never been through a automated car wash. It's never been off Road. Also I can tell you that if you're driving it at night the lights will flicker one time as it jumps fire. It's no worse in the rain. The only thing that anyone can agree on is the whole pack for number one and two cylinder but it does not Jump fire when it fires number two cylinder nor does it jump fire on number three and number four. Now I hope that I have given enough information clearly for someone to understand and give me some intelligent help thank you HWL senior.

ok. and wow. what kind of plugs did you use as replacement?

if you dont use oem plugs and try those fancy double platinum 4 tip bs plugs, i have seen them disintegrate and short out against the block

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
NGK have tried different heat ranges also have tried champion plugs which is the replacement they recommend did not work I'm sorry I thought I have said I replace the plug

you did say that, you just didnt say which kind