eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase certified, imac, macs, bridhestone certified
6149662

Fuel sensor not working correctly, check engine light on.

Customer Question

Fuel sensor not working correctly, check engine light on. Then randomly the ESC light and the awd light come on and I lose power.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: The awd light blinks
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2007 Santa Fe
JA: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet. The fuel sensor and check engine light have been a few weeks. The awd and esc light just yesterday once and today. If I shut the car off and turn it back on the awd and esc light go away and I have power again
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is all
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  eauto replied 2 months ago.

have you scanned for codes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not
Expert:  eauto replied 2 months ago.

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure