Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Just after replacing the alternator the speedometer doesn't

Customer Question

Just after replacing the alternator the speedometer doesn't work unles the a/c is on and the air bag light is coming on
what is happening?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Can I get the year, make, model, engine?

When the speedometer is not working does the transmission shift correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hyundai 2002 Sonata 2.4
I believe so.

With the speedometer off, while driving does the cruise control work?

Are there any warning lights or codes stored for VSS concerns?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know what a VSS. The Air Bag light is on most of the time. This morning the headlights are not working.
The transmission seems to be working fine. I believe the cruise control is working as far as I can tell with noi speedometer. : )

This is going to be a data communication issue since there are no warning lights on, shifting concern and the cruise works. All get the vehicle speed signal from the same place. Use a scan tool. If it shows VSS signal sent out AC on and off then the instrument cluster is to blame.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris