Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

We bought a 2013 Sonata for my son. Recently the battery was

Customer Question

We bought a 2013 Sonata for my son. Recently the battery was dead when he went to drive the car. We assumed that he left something on. Several weeks later we woke up one morning to find the parking lights and tail lights on. The car had not been driven since the day before and was locked. I saw the car after dark the night before and the lights were not on. Luckily the battery was not dead. Yesterday the same thing happened. The car had not been driven for 4 days and when we woke up the lights were on. The car was locked. This time the battery was so low the car wouldn't start. The first time it happened we took it to the dealer and they replaced something to do with the brake lights. This time they told me they disabled the escort function. What are your thoughts? This doesn't seem like a fix to me.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. I can get into using a volt ohm meter and spending time probing and checking circuits for hours or do you want a fast easy way to eliminate a couple of items?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is the fast, easy way?

Thought you'd say that, lol any way just disconnect the head light switch this will direct us to either the switch or circuit. if they don't turn on by themselves again it's a short in the switch , if they do then a possible headlight relay . Hope this helps you find your problem and if you require my further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Since this doesn't happen every time, how will I do this? The car is currently at the dealer. Is there some way they should be checking this?

if it intact intermittent then the procedure I mentioned would be most benificial because they can put all the tests they want on it if it isn't acting up they will wast time and your money.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What are your thoughts on disabling the escort function feature. I am correct in understanding that this is the feature that turns the lights off when you close the driver's door?

Good thought but that's just a timer you can try it but if it don't work then back to square one with my suggestion.