George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

The key will not turn in the ignition. Please help.

Customer Question

Category: Hyundai
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Usually when this happens it's due to a worn out key. Have you tried to use the spare key? assuming you have one.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Alright. Neither key will turn the ignition lock cylinder? In that case you may have a damaged ignition lock cylinder. First, try to wobble the steering wheel while attempting to turn the key and see if you can get it to turn. Also, rapidly jiggle the key up and down while attempting to turn the key and see if you cant get the key to turn. We encounter this situation quite often, and almost always, the key does eventually turn. Please let me know how it goes, or if you have already tried both those things.

I just noticed that you already tried shaking the steering wheel. Now the only real option left is to use persistence and keep jiggling the key while trying to turn the lock cylinder until it turns. Once it turns I would strongly suggest NOT turning it back to the off position as it will likely be difficult to turn again. I would suggest removing the lock cylinder once you get it to turn since you need the key turned to replace the lock cylinder. I can provide you with the instructions for that as well if you would like.

were you able to get it to turn?