Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

2011 hyundai accent. P0012 code, replaced the OCV and still

Customer Question

Hi: 2011 hyundai accent. P0012 code, replaced the OCV and still giving same code
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: Yes. 0012 is over retarding cam bank 1
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the oil control valve
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: 73000 original miles. Check engine light on. No misfire or other problem
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

DTC P0012

THE POSSIBLE CAUSE OF THIS CODE

1- poor connection

2-contamination of oil.clogged oil passages

3-ocv , you have changed that already

4-cvvt

5-ecm/pcm

Below is the test procedure , a scanner is needed to complete the test to confirm what is the problem.

2011 Hyundai Accent L4-1.6L

Save Article

Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only

DTC P0012 "A" CAMSHAFT POSITION-TIMING OVER-RETARDED (BANK 1)

GENERAL DESCRIPTION Different from the existing fixed cam phase angle type, CVVT (Continuously Variable Valve Timing) is the device which varies cam phase angle continuously to be optimum. And with engine oil pressure, it operates. CVVT consists of OCV (Oil Control Valve) and cam phaser. OCV, mounted on cylinder head, controls the amount and direction of oil delivered to cam phaser by oil valve which is connected to a solenoid. Cam phaser, rotating cam phaser rotor with pressure and amount of oil produced by OCV, rotates cam shaft forcefully for or against the rotating direction and finally, cam shaft phase changes.With the appliance of CVVT, engine power, fuel efficiency and the quality of exhaust gas are improved. DTC DESCRIPTION If "Counter of (original target - actual angle) > 3 Deg" is over 10 times under enable conditions, ECM/PCM sets DTC P0012.

MONITOR SCANTOOL DATA 1. Connect scantool to Data Link Connector (DLC). 2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature. 3. Monitor the "OCV" parameters on the scantool.

4. Are the parameters displayed correctly? YES - Fault is intermittent caused by poor contact in the sensor's and/or ECM/PCM's connector or was repaired and ECM/PCM memory was not cleared. Thoroughly check connectors for looseness, poor connection, bending, corrosion, contamination, deterioration, or damage. Repair or replace as necessary and go to "Verification of vehicle Repair" procedure. NO - Go to "Terminal and Connector Inspection" procedure. TERMINAL AND CONNECTOR INSPECTION 1. Many malfunctions in the electrical system are caused by poor harness and terminal condition. Faults can also be caused by interference from other electrical systems, and mechanical or chemical damage. 2. Thoroughly check connectors for looseness, poor connection, bending, corrosion, contamination, deterioration, or damage. 3. Has a problem been found? YES - Repair as necessary and go to "Verification of vehicle Repair" procedure. NO - Go to "System inspection" procedure. SYSTEM INSPECTION 1. Visual check. 1. Check engine oil gauge. 2. Check contamination of engine oil. 3. Check contamination of OCV filter. 4. Check clog of oil path. 5. Is there any problem? YES - Repair as necessary and go to "Verification of vehicle Repair" procedure. NO - Go to "Component inspection" procedure. COMPONENT INSPECTION 1. Check OCV 1. Connect scantool to Data Link Connector (DLC). 2. Key "ON".

3. Perform "Actuation Test" for OCV. 4. Does the OCV work normally (Check Clicking sound)? YES - Substitute with a known-good CVVT and check for proper operation. If the problem is corrected, replace CVVT and then go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure. NO - Substitute with a known-good OCV and check for proper operation. If the problem is corrected, replace OCV and then go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure. VERIFICATION OF VEHICLE REPAIR After a repair, it is essential to verify that the fault has been corrected. 1. Connect scan tool and select "Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)" mode. 2. Clear the DTCs and Operate the vehicle within DTC Enable conditions in General information. 3. Are any DTCs present? YES - Go to the applicable troubleshooting procedure. NO - System is performing to specification at this time.

Let me know if you need anything else on it ,just reply back & we can continue

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician