Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1 diagnostics, 32 years. Electrical expert
13677702

My daughters 2008 Tucson makes clicking noise in the

Customer Question

my daughters 2008 Tucson makes clicking noise in the dashboard when turning on a/c and no air comes thru vent above the radio
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: About a week ago, and is above the center a/c vent above radio
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing just removed power from battery and waited for about 5 min and applied power again. I hoped that will reset. thinking that it lost its home position
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: everything seems to work I mean cold air and even if I change to hot works. Mainly it blows more towards windshield and below rather than thru center
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 months ago.

Hello, you have 3 actuator motors, Small electric motors that control temp, direction of airflow as well as recir /fresh air, A clicking sound and no control of air direction usually means the mode door actuator is bad, it is located on the drivers side of the HVAC ,mounted on the side, . You work up under drivers side of the dash after the lower sound insulator under dash is removed, I suspect the actuator is bad and you need a new mode door actuator, They have plastic gears inside and they can become stripped so its trying to move, hits a bad spot and clicks, I have attached a few files showing the actuator