Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

My malfunction indicator light just came on what does that

Customer Question

My malfunction indicator light just came on what does that mean
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No,
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Hyundai Mechanic to figure that out. What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2011 hyaundai Elektra limited addition 4 dr. 4 cylinder
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm just getting a bite to eat, it's 747pm nothing is open for mechanics till tomorrow.
In the manual it says malfunction indicator light, and my ex says it's the check engine
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I changed the oil just last week, filled the liquids changed out the air conditioner fluids recharge that new tires, uh it had a new engine last season cuz that took a crap. I'm prepping this car to go go driving through many states. And I'll be with my baby I don't need to get stranded
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you.The malfunction light and check engine light are one the same just different terminology. When it comes on and stays on that means the ECU (CARS COMPUTER) has a bad input from one or more of it's many inputs. Without pulling up a trouble code it's any ones guess what is causing it. if it's a minor malfunction the ECU will go into what they call fail safe and take an average reading to keep operating things, during this you may or may not notice any or very little difference in how the vehicle performs but the light may or may not stay on that depends if it's a hard code or not.So unfortunately we cannot go further without a code to direct us which direction to go. Hope this makes your decision a little easier and if you require further assistance I 'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, so I have to take it to someone to read the code, cuz I don't have one of those machines to see what the problem is. Its very helpful your info, thanks

unfortunately yes because there are so many areas and inputs it's almost impossible to narrow down without a code,. sorry but thats the nature of the beast. If you need further help let us no.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank u

when you get a code I'll be happy to assist you further.If your happy with my answer please rate it . Thank you.