peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

The drivers door controls all dead. Locks, windows, Remote

Customer Question

The drivers door controls all dead. Locks, windows, Remote entry unlocks doors. Remote mirror control works. I removed door panel to replace broken door handle. Reassemledalmost nothing works help.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: yes worked all ok before i replaced the handle
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT
JA: Are you fixing your Elantra GT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing. Considering test power connector from body for voltage and ground first to see if it is in the car or the door. Have VTVM to do it. When I tried to reconnect the door to the car one or two of the conntors were bent and I tried to straighten them but still doesn't wotk. Try again?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will pay after I find out if what you tell me to do works. OK?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If any of the terminals in the connectors or switch was bent this will cause poor connections and will cause this here.I would re check the connectors and terminals for any issues as well as look for any pulled out wires or broken wires at and leading to the connections.

If these are all o.k. and all wiring is o.k. you may have one or more fault codes set with this issue that need cleared out with a scan tool that will plug into your vehicle and can communicate with all computers.In some cases a code sets when connections are unplugged like this here and they need cleared out with a scan tool in order for the functions to restore again.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I need a scan tool is it possible that one could be available for rent locally?

In some cases a local parts store or rental facility in your area may have a scan tool that can be rented to check codes as well as delete codes but unfortunately in most cases the scan tool will need purchased which can cost over $500 in some cases for this type of scan tool (as a cheaper code reader will not work) or a shop will have to check and clear out any codes.I would start with checking connections and terminals to see if you have any poor connection issues.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do have an inexpensive scanner that does diagnose engine problems ignition problems etc. is it possible that that could tell me something?

Unfortunately this is one of the scan tools that will only communicate with the engine computer and will not work to communicate with any other computers on your model here.The scan tool needed can be a more expensive tool sometimes even over $1000.

Thanks Pete