eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase certified, imac, macs, bridhestone certified
6149662

I went to a drive thru car wash. I've done this hundreds of

Customer Question

I went to a drive thru car wash. I've done this hundreds of times before. The last time I used this car wash (a couple of weeks ago) my wheels spun a bit before I was able to exit. This time I was literally stuck with the wheels just spinning when I would push the gas and I wouldn't go forward. I let my foot off the gas and tried again with the same result. I did this maybe 10 times before I could exit. Since I have done this so many times in the past I cannot believe that I was doing anything wrong but I am unsure what could have been wrong with the car wash. Is it more likely that something was wrong with the machine or is there something that I could have been doing wrong? What would someone have to do "wrong" in order to get stuck in a car wash? Also, could it cause any tire damage? My tires seems to have been fine after driving and appear fine but I only saw them in my garage. I believe they are fine but don't know. So what do you say?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  eauto replied 3 months ago.

how is the tread on the tires?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As far as I know the tread is fine. While the car is a 2010 it only has about 8,200 miles.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The entire thing is very strange to me.
Expert:  eauto replied 3 months ago.

have you looked at the frt tires?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have not looked at the tread, no.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But the car drives fine and as I said it has 8200 miles on it
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Last oil change they didn't say anything about the tires.
Expert:  eauto replied 3 months ago.

the tires spinning is either a really slippery floor or really worn tires

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cannot believe that the tires are really worn? Wouldn't they have said something when I got my last oil change and tire rotation? The car drives fine in dry and in rain. It has 8200 miles on it. How could it be so worn? Could there be something wrong with the car wash?
Expert:  eauto replied 3 months ago.

it may be just really slippery concrete but id peak at the tire tread...if the floor is real slick from soap and water and wax etc it could cause this

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will have the tires looked at but I cannot believe that it could be the tires. How could that happen in 8200 miles? Wouldn't they have said something when I got my tire rotation a couple of months ago? Could they have gotten so much worse in 2 months? I am not really handy so I will take my car to tires plus but I think it is the car wash. You know, I don't trust they drive thru car washes. I went to one that just moved the dirt around on my car. I went to another where the guy said, "We have the best car wash in town." and it left soap all over my car. I know you haven't inspected my car but with 8200 miles on a car wouldn't you say it is more likely a problem with the car wash than the tires or can you just not say either?
Expert:  eauto replied 3 months ago.

i can say this factory tires are low grade generally...so it depends on the brand and the tread... but likley with your miles its the finsish or residue on the car wash floor

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But the thing that confuses me is that I've used this car wash recently without any trouble at all. So, it is one or the other. The tires got MUCH WORSE really fast or else the car wash is not operating correctly and I would guess the second one here. If you had to guess (and this is just a guess. I will have the tires looked at, but if you had to guess) would you say it is a malfunction with the car wash? Because as far as I know tires don't fall apart so fast and any tire should last more than 8200 miles, right?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Even a 6 year old tire. It has 8200 miles on it!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The "!" is simply meaning that a any decent tire should survive more than 8200 miles, right?
Expert:  eauto replied 3 months ago.

absolutely...some came with michelins some come with low quaity that should still last more then 8,000 miles\

Expert:  eauto replied 3 months ago.

likley the wash ..but for safety sake have the tire tread looked at

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Final question.. The spinning of the tires in the machine shouldn't do any harm to the tires, should it? The car was driving fine after the car wash.
Expert:  eauto replied 3 months ago.

yea no it wont hurt the car or tires