FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Experience:  Master Automotive Technician

Our 2009 Santa Fe is having trouble starting in the cold

Customer Question

Hi our 2009 Santa Fe is having trouble starting in the cold morning
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have had the battery changed four times with a 720 cranking amps brand new battery checked alternator and checked for power leakage over night.These problems are all ok .It just seems to not fire when the engine is cold.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** this occurs does the engine just crank slow or does it crank for a long time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The engine cranks every time for as long as you try to start it.But however my wife started it this morning 3 degrees no worries.I have also checked to see if both of our keys have the ant theft symbol come up on the dash and they both do.As I said I am onto my 4th battery, 15 cell 720 cranking amps.Auto electrician has checked the car on diagnostics for faults and cleared.I have also had the car checked for power leakage while car is stationary,I have also put keys further away in a steel pot from car so not to awaken security system.The 2nd fob key we have was loaded by Hyundai by computer so the car recognises the keys(all good). When the engine wont start we use a booster to start it and it does work.

Thanks for the response. The most common cause of a crank and no start on this vehicle is a bad crank position sensor. This sensor is a common failure on this vehicle. It stops reading correctly intermittently which keeps the engine from starting. It is hard to diagnose as it does not typically cause a check engine light. The only way is to use an o-scope on the sensor over and over again to see if there is a signal issue.