Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Have a 2008 Sonata. Original owner. Can't turn key in

Customer Question

Have a 2008 Sonata. Original owner. Can't turn key in ignition. Car is in park and I have jiggled the steering wheel many times and it doesn't help.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Steering wheel turns several degrees both ways. Key is just worn from 9 years of daily use. Worked okay about 8 hours ago, but was a bit difficult to turn.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Just tried jiggling steering wheel and turning key around several times.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of right now.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

HI,

Ok, for a worn key or worn ignition cylinder tumblers, the following works like a charm. Use a hammer, a lugnut wrench or something heavy and GENTLY tap around the ignition cylinder as you try to turn the key. This should allow it to turn.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Didn't work. Won't budge at all.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

HI,

If you can get someone to run by a hardware store and get some graphite powder and bring to you, put the powder on the key, insert it and tap around the cylinder as you turn the key.