Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

I'm not sure how this chat/forum works: is there a charge to

Customer Question

I'm not sure how this chat/forum works: is there a charge to get questions answered?
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I paid the fee: Okay, here's the question in more detail:
Hyundai Tucson 2005 - when it is hot outside, while driving 40 mph say, car slows down when driving, to about 15 miles per hour and then crawls to about 5 miles per hour and have to pull over. Could this be a cooling problem with radiator possibly? Does not seem to happen when it is not hot outside
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** hope to help you with your question well unfortunately that's how the system works with temperature sensors and if it reaches a threshold it goes into limp mode . Also if you use a lower grade of fuel it evaporates faster in heat so it may pr ignite making the knock sensors over work retarding the timing.the other thing is where manufacturers put the cold air intake for the engine (inside the engine compartment.All these contribute to lousy performance when exceptional outside temperatures. So how to try and counter act some of this? First use a higher octane fuel + additive to counter act pr-ignition, cold pack around air intake , sometimes that's not practical that's what they do on race cars to increase performance . modify your cold air intake so it's not sucking the very hot air in from the engine compartment if you can imagine if it's when it's over 100degrees outside what it is inside that engine compartment? so extend the air pick up so it's at least getting the outside air insdeadof the under hood air. Try these ideas and see if it helps, the hotter the fuel less power the hotter the air less oxygen to burn and loss of power. let me know and good luck.