Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 year in the Auto repiar business ASE Certified
7276279

2007 Hyundai tuscon 2.0 head gasket/timing belt replaced.

Customer Question

2007 Hyundai tuscon 2.0 head gasket/timing belt replaced. Generating code P0016. All mark are set perfect belt and chain. sluggish when starting of and when you shut vehicle it wont start again for 5-10 seconds. After 5-10 seconds it fires right up
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: 1 mile, just changed
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: crank and cam sensor. suspecting oil control valve but haven't changed yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

Was the engine setting this code before you replaced the timing belt?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Code P0016 in most cases is set when actual camshaft position is too much retarded or advanced than full retard position or full advance position. This code is usually set when the camshaft timing is off, are you sure the timing alignment is not off a bit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Positive. Crank is at tdc. Cam sprocket has hole lined up with red mark on cam cap. Marks for timing chain are both at 12 o'clock position and timing chain black keys line up with timing marks
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Okay if your sure the timing is spot on the I would test the Oil control valve. See the steps in the link below and check it before you replace any thing>

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/OCV%20Aug%2012.pdf