Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 year in the Auto repiar business ASE Certified
7276279

I have a 2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 2.0 L. I have added ac

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 2.0 L . I have added ac refrigerant four or five times in the last two months. The last time it took about a week and a half to leak down completely. I put dye in the system and found the compressor was leaking. I bought an OEM compressor and desiccant bag. When I emptied the old compressor I only got a teaspoon of oil out of it. The oil was clean so I didn't see the need to replace anything else. The underhood sticker says 140-160 cc compressor oil. My question is why was there such a small amount of oil left in the old compressor and how much should I put back in the system?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

The reason why you only got a small amount of oil out of the compressor is because the rest of the oil is spread through out the system. If you only replacing the compressor an not flushing the entire system then you are going to want to add 4 once to the compressor and you should be fine. If you are flushing the entire system then you will want to put 8 ounces in the system, 4 ounces in the compressor and the rest into the AC lines.