Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

What would cause a 5 speed 2004 elantra to fade in and out

Customer Question

what would cause a 5 speed 2004 elantra to fade in and out slowly,(still runs) while at idle
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
run fine just at idle or in low gear (1st or 2nd) new clutch just put in. has been setting for 4 months. put put ultra gas and and injector cleaner in while filling tank
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help out. Do you have a check engine light on or any other symptoms to speak of?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
light is on

do you have a way to scan it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no, not at this times it does not cause the tec to bounce. it just sound like a fade in and out, never shuts off or stalls while driving

so when you say that it fades in and out, you don't mean the tac fades in and out?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no it stands still. it just the motor sounds like the gas is going in and out or better , it sound like it is have gas cut back . sound like it is breathing(form of speaking of course)
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
could it be the injectors ?

I really doubt you have an injector issue...It sounds more to me like a vacuum leak. I would use a flammable spray such as brake cleaner and lightly spray around the engine bay to see if you can detect an idle fluctuation. If you do, then check in the area you are spraying at the time that it occurs for a vacuum leak. Some main places to check are the intake gasket and main vacuum lines like the one going to the brake booster.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you will try

Good luck, my friend!