Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai

I want to know if the rear intake timing gears are the same

Customer Question

I want to know if the rear intake timing gears are the same on the left and right heads on a 2007 Hyundai Santa fe 2.7. The dealer says they are I think they are different. any help will be appreciated.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

Ok, they have the same part number so they are indeed the same

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the part numbers were the same. I think the parts book is wrong according to Mitchell's diagram the toothed wheel on the rear is in reversed locations on the left and right. I am an ASE certified Master technician since 1984. I have taught auto technology in one high school and three technical colleges. I have operated my own independent shop since 1967. I did adjust the valve timing on the front intake camshaft using a degree wheel and dial indicator. I had to retard the gear 3 links to get this right. It does start and run ok. the check engine light is on. The cam gear timing is off even tho the camshaft is correct. I think the part id is incorrect.
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 2 months ago.

Hello, according to Hyundai's parts catalog they are the same. As a Hyundai and Kia factory trained technician I can tell you I have worked on a lot of these engines and I can assure you that Hyundai's catalog is correct and that the cam gears are the same. However, if you did get an aftermarket part it is possible that it was not made correctly and could be causing an issue. In order to correctly set valve timing on the 2.7L santa fe you need to set cylinder 1 to top dead center on the compression stroke. There is a mark on the engine and the crankshaft sprocket that will be lined up. There are also marks on both of the camshaft sprockets that line up with marks on the cylinder head covers. All you need to do to time the engine correctly in ensure all of the marks line up.