peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

I have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3L awd. Sometimes, not

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3L awd. Sometimes, not regularily, it won't start, but will turn over just fine. No sign on the dash that an error code is present, and all fuses are fine, gas in the tank, battery is all charged right up. To me, this seems like a crankshaft or camshaft position sensor. Does this sound right, and if so, where can it be found? I'm thinking behind the exhaust manifold somewhere?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One of the most common causes for this fault here is a weak fuel pump needing replaced.It may be heard to run and you may have fuel in the tank but it may not be producing enough fuel pressure to allow the engine to start.

If you have not had a fuel pressure test done this should be done to see if this is the cause here.

The other common component is the crank sensor intermittently acting up.This is located at the back of the engine where the engine bolts up to the transmission.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will get fuel pressure checked, hadn't really thought of that at all because it runs smooth and drives fine when it doesn't experience this problem. Is the picture view provided close to the top of the engine or up from underneath somewhere? What other commonly identifiable parts are in the area of the sensor to give me an idea where the picture is aiming at? Also, is this pretty easy to replace? Should the battery cable be disconnected while this is done?

It sounds more like a crank sensor fault here from what is described.The picture is from the top and should be where the top of the transmission bolts to the engine at the back of the engine up front.

It is usually held in with one bolt and a wiring connector.You dont have to disconnect the battery when replacing it but you can if you want to be safe on this.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete