Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.

Check engine light came on but car seems to run fine. stays

Customer Question

check engine light came on but car seems to run fine.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2009 santa fe
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked oil and fluid levels. trie to retighten gas cap
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: fuel gauge does not work properly. sometimes registers empty when tank is full. ac system is difficult to control from panel. is this a computer problem?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

HI there,

Starting with the check engine light, do you happen to know what codes are being stored?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like the reason for the light would be the fuel gauge not working properly. This can trigger codes for the fuel sending unit, and wouldn't have any effect on the way the vehicle is running.

As for the a/c concern, it sounds like the problem may be with the control head on the dash and this won't have anything to do with the check engine light coming on.

The check engine light could also be on for an evap emissions system related issue. This could be simple, like a loose fuel cap or something larger like the vent control valve. Same story though, it doesn't affect the performance of the vehicle, just turns the light on. It's safe to drive it this way.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!