peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I've taken it in to Meinike & they couldn't tell what was

Customer Question

Customer:i've taken it in to Meinike & they couldn't tell what was wrong without doing a complete diagnostic for $90. There's really only 3 possibilities: PS pump (which just replaced), PS hoses, or rack & pinion. If it's the R&P, it'll cost a fortune to fix & i'll have to save $ for the next 6-9 months. So i'm kinda screwed
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: Only the owners manual. Can't find a haynes or chilton for the tuscon
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tighten PS & alternatot belts (can't get to A/C belt) replaced PS pump, tried to clear hoses to see if clogged or bad but couldn't really tell since they can rot inside to out, flushed PS fluid
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Lose of power steering seems to stop when car warm but lock to lock issue never goes away so try not to turn wheel to extremes. Seems worse when backing up
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This does sound like a fault with the rack and pinion.Since the pump was replaced and system flushed the rack and pinion is the only cause I see here especially if there are issues with lock to lock as I have seen the rack cause this fault as well.

If it was a restricted pressure or return line usually in most all cases you would hear a steering whine and power steering lines or seals may leak due to excess pressure build up in the system.I suspect the rack and pinion needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete