Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I need to know if a 2005 hyundai sonata has a shift lock

Customer Question

Hello, I need to know if a 2005 hyundai sonata has a shift lock override switch and if so where it is located. I recently purchased a car. the person who inpected the car said that it started with a jump start but then would not come out of park. I feel that the shifter may have been damaged when they were trying to force the shifter out of park and into drive to test the car. When I went to pick it up, the shifter looked like it had been forced out of park but not into gear yet. So the ignition key switch now won't start the car because it thinks its in gear. I will check all the fuses and hopefully something simple. I fear that either way I will need a new shifter assembly and shifter cable.....
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: It is a 2005 sonata with 100k miles. It sat not running for over a year. The car appears to be clean and well cared for. No I have not checked the brake switch yet. Where is that located on the car and do you have any suggestions on how to check it. I suppose just put a charge on the battery and pdepress brake pedal as the car ignition is still on run position and won't turn back to off. (Also I assume because the car thinks it's in gear...)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to try to. Im not a mechanic but am fairly handy if things are explained to me. I guess I was hoping to get the shifter reset at least to the point that I can get the key back out of the ignition.. BTW thank you very much for your help.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The car was driven every day until parked and then sat for over a year. The person inspecting it did have the jump start it with a battery pack. This may have blown a fuse or something. Then when they went to shift the car into drive to test the transmission, it apparently would not come out of park. I don't know if that was because it had sat for so long and the linkage had started to rust to the transmission. I sprayed some solvent/lubricant onto that linkage near the front of the motor where the shifter cable connects. Now the shifter lever does seem to move easier from neutral to drive and back but does not want to move forward to park position. And i think that this is because something is bent or stretched out from being forced. If there is any way I can get a punch list of steps to check starting from easiest to difficult it will give me hope of fixing it my self and not have to break down and flat bed it to the mechanics.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.

Yes there is a shift lock that it is on the shifter base. If force was used they have possibly damaged the shifter assembly meaning the complete assembly will need replacing.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris