Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2005 Hyundai SF with code PO430. I caused this by power

Customer Question

2005 Hyundai SF with code PO430. I caused this by power washing the engine. Got water down in the plug wells and barely got home due to backfiring and misfiring. I replaced the plugs, plug wires and put everything back together and cleared the codes. The engine runs perfect to a tuned ear. But, after driving about 75 miles on a trip... the check engine light came on. I have cleared the PO430 code many times but it keeps coming back. I know either the water or the backfiring issues after the power wash caused this. Could this possibly be a bad Oxy sensor? I cannot believe it is the cat converter! The power wash occurred about 13 months ago and I have had the code PO430 for that long. Your thought please.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on!
JA: What is the model of your '05 Hyundai?
Customer: Santa Fe
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am hoping to fix it myself and I have changed the wiring harness with the sensor for keeping both banks synced. I have changed all 6 plugs and the plug wires, but have not done any trouble shooting on Oxy sensors because I do not know if all are heated and what the pin connections are. I have a code reader.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not at this time.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

The vehicle running rough could have ruined the catalytic converter. You can try a burn out procedure to clean the converter which requires disconnecting one of the coils and holding rpms at about 3000 rpm for 5 minutes then reset code again. If that doesn't help you will need to replace the catalytic converter. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Won't disconnecting a coil cause the engine to run very rough? Also, please Explain the theory as to how this will clear the Cat.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am waiting on a response for my last question (noted above) that I sent to you.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

The unburned fuel will go into converter and burn out any foreign debris, it is the only thing you can try before replacing converter. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.