George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Last week after heavy rains I drove my 2003 Hyundai Elantra

Customer Question

Last week after heavy rains I drove my 2003 Hyundai Elantra through water that came up over my hood and stalled the car out. Had it towed to a garage that said I had gotten water in my cylinders and they'd dried it out. Picked it up and drove it home that night (about 15 minutes, maybe 6 -7 miles). It alternated running rough and smooth and I figured it was still working water out of it's system. The next day it wouldn't stay running and I haven't been able to keep it running for more than a minute since. I changed the oil as it was milky looking from the water. It seems to turn over fine and starts about every 40th crank. Any suggestions? It's supposed to be in the 90's the next few days - perfect weather to dry it out if that's what it needs.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  nathan thompson replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I hope I can Solve this for you. Was there any unusual noises coming from the engine when it was running?