Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Got 02 Hyundai sonata. Cam sensor code. Runs a few seconds

Customer Question

Got 02 Hyundai sonata. Cam sensor code. Runs a few seconds then dies. I did get it to run and drive. Thought it was fixed. Now back to square one. Same symptoms.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer working afternoon till just after midnight.

Can you tell me the code number your getting?

Must you crank it for a while before it starts then stalls or does it only need to crank briefly to start?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Crank briefly then starts. Camshaft sensor bank 01.
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is***** the replacement sensor did not correct your problem check the wiring harness thoroughly and if okay take a look at your timing belt as your timing could be off. Look at the harness connector pins for corrosion and damage back to the PCM/ECM and if the code still exists have your ECM bench tested and reprogrammed. Let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What is the pcm? Ecm?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How to thoroughly check the wiring harness?

That is the computerized module that controls the engine. Inspect by looking for damaged, corroded wiring and connector pins, broken wires, bare wires, etc. Beyond a visual inspection a digital multimeter is needed to test for voltage and for OHMs or continuity in the circuit and to test your grounds. Not sure if you have a strong electrical background or experience with testing electrical but if not I recommend having someone who does help you with your testing. Let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am schooled in electrical power and controls on a factory stand point.

Okay great so you will be able to test continuity on the wiring and for voltage as well as testing for good ground.

Keep me posted on the results. I log in in between jobs and evenings as time allows for any follow ups.

Chris here. I was the original tech that responded early this morning. Do you no longer want me to help since Dan has jumped in. I need to know before providing the info you need or just opt out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need a connector diagram showing where the colored wires go into the connector I have the numbers and the associated ground power and Signal.

You have to let us know which tech you want to work with since only one can be compensated for helping and only one needs to help and the other bow out.

Do you want Chris the person that offered to help at first

Do you want Dan which started helping today around noon after you requested a phone call.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Chris is fine. Good bye Dan. I've never used this website before. I really don't like it when people undercut others. and I also don't like to get in between people's scuffles. go back to the original problems.
This whole problem started when ever we had a fuel tank installed and a fuel pump.

Have you done any of the diag steps yes for this cam code, shown here. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/CMPcode.pdf

Have you monitored the fuel pressure to make sure it is staying up while the key is on, cranking, and while it runs briefly?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will start the described procedures tomorrow. Where and how do I attach the fuel gauge? I see no Schrader valve.

If there is not a test or bleed port on the fuel injector rail then you can T or dead head into the fuel line where it connects to the fuel rail or under the vehicle after the fuel tank at a fitting.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK. Good night. I'm tired.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The extreme heat outside is keeping me from working on my car. I didn't realize there was a time limit.

Yes there is a time limit to get a post rated before it closes. The 25th is the date for this post.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Too bad. Life doesn't always allow deadlines.

Best of luck. Sorry you were not pleased with my help from outside factors you nor I can control. Thanks for letting me try to assist you.