Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1 diagnostics, 32 years. Electrical expert
13677702

Ok, i have a 2003 sante fe with a 3.5. i'm replacing the

Customer Question

Ok, i have a 2003 sante fe with a 3.5. i'm replacing the timing belt. i have the 2004 shop manual that shows this engine. i am confused as to why they show the right bank with 7.3 and 8.7 pitch in one diagram, and the cam timing marks lined up in a manner that makes sense to me in another diagram. Gwen
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: i just purchased this car with 89,000 miles on it and the owner, from new, says she never had it replaced.
JA: What is the model of your '04 Hyundai?
Customer: it's a 2003 Sante Fe, fully loaded, leather heated seats, etc, and i think it's the GLS but there is no emblem saying that.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The car runs perfect. I'm just changing the timing belt as a precaution.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 months ago.

Hello, that step is not 100% required, They are wanting one to do this as an offset until you are ready to feed the belt in the order it indicates. reason? the engine is an interference engine and this setting allows the crank gear to turn and adjust some till ready to feed and align the belt and set tensioner. I have done the job without doing this step with no issues but did have to wiggle crank and cams back and forth some so things can be turned without pistons hitting, Hard to explain so best to set the one cam the 7 teeth to the left and the other the 8 teeth to the left, feed belt and then turn them to align . As the end result you will be setting the marks as you see in the main mark diagram.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Before we took the old timing belt off , we put the crank sprocket on it's mark and locked the cams in place with 2 special tools that I bought for this job. The tools were plastic moldings that fit in-between the cam sprocket teeth and locked the cam sprockets together. Would putting the cam sprockets in the offset position be something you might do if the heads had to be removed and re-installed? I was going to verify that all the marks were on and then slip the new belt on. Or do you think I should still put the right bank ( firewall side ) in the offset position before I put the new belt on?

you are good, cam holders are good as well,. the thing this is all about? should you need to move the crank gear around to get aligned, You would not be able to unless the offsets were done, Huyndai lists this step but 99% of the time it is not required, yes,, if all things were way off time? then yes, you do the offset

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I'm pretty sure I get it now. Sounds like when the cams are in the off-set position you can turn the crank without causing the pistons to hit the valves. That position creates the most clearance between valves and pistons. You probably guessed by now that I tend to think too much. Thank You, Gwen

good thing as yes,, you are 100% correct

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm glad I talked to you. I was contemplating putting the cams in the off-set and leaving them there when I lined everything up. The people that wrote the shop manuals for this car didn't make it very clear. Could be that English was there2nd language.

kia is worse, they write for the dealer shops, not for the DIY, but still could made more clear. you would have bent valves

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If I caused the valves to bend, while trying to do this maintenance it would have been like shooting myself in the foot. This was the best $20 I ever spent.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll leave you alone now, Thank You, Gwen

no problem, please leave feedback for my service provided today and thanks