George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

2010 sonata slowed down, engine light came on. I had it

Customer Question

2010 sonata slowed down, engine light came on. I had it towed to dealer. They say it has no codes to read, needs to be driven.
JA: Have you scanned the code? Have you tried to reset it?
Customer: 2010 Sonata slowed down, engine light came on. I had it towed to dealer. They say there are no codes to read, it has to be driven. How can they get the codes without ruining the engine?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, it is at the dealership.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it was fine for the first 30 miles, then just lost Rebs and engine light came on. The only other trouble was a hesitation it had several times. I took it to the dealer and they said they fixed it, but it still did it once in a while.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If the check engine light came on then the system set and stored a fault code. The codes can be retrieved with out the engine running with just the key on . If you still having the problem, stop by your local auto parts store such as Auto Zone and have them run a scan on it which they will do at no charge and see if you can get me the fault code and post back with it and I will see if I can help you get this resolved.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't drive it! And it's still at the dealership!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can they get the fault codes without driving it?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Yes the fault code can be retrieved with a scan tool with the key on and the engine off.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They said all the codes were erased, and they need to drive it to restore them. Was that a lie?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Its not a lie if they erased them, if they where erased then yes it would have to be driven to get them to reset.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But if it cannot be driven, what can they do without doing even mor damage?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

They need to get the fault codes to reset and they should have set the first time the light came on. As long as the check engine light is not flashing and the engine runs it can be driven to get the codes to reset.