Gene
Gene, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 25 years experience, Ford Trans Tech/SMT, Toyota, Mitsubishi,Hyundai Tech.
285738

Have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata - 4 cylinder. Sounds as if it is

Customer Question

Have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata - 4 cylinder. Sounds as if it is making a clicking noise as the wheel turns on the passenger front tire. Did not notice the noise when going backwards, but definitely hear it going forwards being in drive and not accelerating. Applying brake pressure does not appear to make the noise go away in most incidences. However, if I turn, the noise will stop until I straighten my wheel back out. Then it will start with a clicking. It does not sound like a chirping, when a brake sensor is being hit.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Gene replied 5 months ago.

Hello, inspect the cv boot on both front axles, if the boot is torn and dirt is entering the cv joint, it is a cv joint noise. If this looks ok. An inspection of the brakes and front suspension should be done, if something is loose in the front suspension it will allow the wheel to shift and cause noise concerns.

There appears to be this service bulletin to update front cv axles and to install a washer in between the axle and wheel bearing end. You can contact your local dealer to see if this applies to the build date of your vehicle.

• DRIVETRAIN - REPLACEMENT CV SHAFT ASSEMBLY

Group CHASSIS

Number 10-DS-001

Date DECEMBER, 2010

Model SONATA (NFA)

Subject
SONATA (NFA) REPLACEMENT CV SHAFT ASSEMBLY

DESCRIPTION:

This bulletin provides service parts information for Sonata (NFA) CV shaft assemblies.

VEHICLES AFFECTED:
Model: Sonata (NFA)

Production Date Range: January 28, 2005 to January 21, 2010

PART INFORMATION:

IMPORTANT:
Updated service parts with new part numbers are available for replacing NFA Sonata CV shaft assemblies.

IMPORTANT:
When ordering the new CV shaft part number, it is also required to order a washer. See parts table.

IMPORTANT:
The sub parts (joint, shaft, etc) of the previous CV shaft assembly are not individually interchangeable with those of the new drive shaft assembly. The entire assembly must be replaced instead of individual components.

PARTS INFORMATION

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Normal warranty applies.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
To give you a nontechnical explanation of the noise as well.. it is comparable to being a kid and sticking a baseball card in your wheel spokes. It reminds me of that. I will ask the dealer - as it is out of warranty, I am not sure what type of work will need to be done. Some shop did replace some parts in my suspension and I believe they reused the coil. I am wondering if this could be related. I will need to do some digging.
Expert:  Gene replied 5 months ago.

It could be a noisey cv joint, its easy to inspect, if the boot is damaged it will make a clicking noise when turning.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If it ends up being a damaged boot - is it just this boot that is replaced? Or is it an entire assembly? I am not mechanical, so trying to do some type of due diligence before I get dragged over the coals at some local shops.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Actually - to clarify.. The clicking noise goes AWAY when turning. I hear this entirely on straight aways.
Expert:  Gene replied 5 months ago.

Ok then no, a bad cv joint only makes noise on turns, if it was bad, the axle is replaced as an assembly. Bring it in for an inspection. As long as the noise is easy to duplicate it should be easy to localize. If it has hub caps, the hub caps could be flexing and making a noise.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is it possible that a bad CV joint could cause the issue on a straightaway or is this totally not an option?
Expert:  Gene replied 5 months ago.

Only if it was an inner cv joint, usually the issue with a torn boot is a outer cv joint on turns, an inner joint will cause vibration issues and noises while driving straight and on acceleration. They have new cv axles out for a reason, it doesnt explain why, if its a recall or just a bulletin. Your local hyundai dealer can explain more as to what this bulletin number i gave you covers

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You don't happen to have the install instructions or a diagram for a parking brake for a 2009 Hyundai sonata - do you? Having a hard time locating this.
Expert:  Gene replied 5 months ago.

To replace the cables, or an exploded view of the system, what are you trying to do

Expert:  Gene replied 5 months ago.

This question is different from your original question

Expert:  Gene replied 5 months ago.

If You need more information let me know, If I was helpful please leave a positive rating

Expert:  Gene replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  Gene replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?