George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

My 2015, 5.0 Hyundai Genesis has a loud thumping noise in

Customer Question

My 2015, 5.0 Hyundai Genesis has a loud thumping noise in the rear. What is this and what words do I use so the dealer will fix this problem?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Genesis.

Have you test driven the vehicle with the Service Adviser or Technician yet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no I haven't
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It happens mostly under power, a few at times bumps, but can happen on smooth roads.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is not predictable when the noise will happen.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I want the dealer to handle the problem. The car has 3,000 miles on it and is under warranty. What strong language can I use to make sure they fix it when I take it in for repair?

It's not necessarily the language used but rather how we go about this. As for words, just describe what you are hearing and where. Don't mention that it is random or happened only a few times because they will use that against you by saying that "well, we couldn't duplicate it".

First, lets try and narrow this down to where we (by that I mean you) can easily duplicate the noise. Don't worry about hurting the car, just learn to drive it in a manner where we can reproduce this noise concern at will. That way we know how and when it does it and can show the Dealer.

Let's also remove the anything in the trunk like the gym bag and spare tire that can be blamed as the cause.

Now, take it in and strongly request (demand) that the Master Technician ride with you so you can show him/her exactly what is going on, how to reproduce the noise and exactly what it sounds like. Keep in mind that I said Master Technician and not just anyone who happens to work on cars. They should easily accommodate this request.

Does this make sense?