K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Asian Import Specialist, ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

NO START. ENGINE CRANK, NO FIRE. FOUND NO POWER TO INJECTOR

Customer Question

NO START. ENGINE CRANK, NO FIRE. FOUND NO POWER TO INJECTOR FUSE. SWAPPED RELAYS, NO GO. CANNOT COMMUNICATE TO ECM WITH SCANNER. I THINK THAT THE ECM IS NOT MAKING THE GROUND CIRCUIT FOR THE MAIN OR THE FUEL PUMP.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: POWER(12 VOLT) IS CONSTANT, NOT GETTING THE GROUND CIRCUIT FROM THE PCM TO ENERGIZE MAIN OR FUEL RELAYS.
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2003 ELANTRA, 2.0LTR
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: WANT TO GET IT RUNNING OF COURSE.. iM A TECH FOR FORD. IM NOT FAMILIAR WITH THIS MAKE AND MODEL, HAVE ALL DATA, BUT SCHEMATICS ARE DIFFICULT TO READ..
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Verified that there is no ground circuit given to the main or the fuel pump relays from the ECM. Is the Main relay the same relay for the ECM to power up, or is there another relay associated with the ECM. The vehicle was running and just quit. It would crank, but no fuel pump, no ignition, no injector or coil power. When I jumped the Main relay, and the fuel pump relay I was able to get power to the injectors and the fuel pump / coil, but still no injector / coil pulse from ECM. when tested, no ground signal at either relays.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 5 months ago.

The ECM receives power on pins 3,14 and 21. There's no relay for the ECM, power come directly from fuses. For pin 3 it's the 20 amp ecm fuse that also feeds the main relay. For the other two it's the sensor fuse.

I'll post the ecm pin out and wiring diagrams below. Check for power to those terminals and let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Grabbed my power probe, found the fuse panel in pass. compartment, ecu 10 amp fuse blown...replaced it, engine ran then fuse blew again, engine shut down. Smoke coming from under hood...found what was left of the vss sensor, melted. Connector shot, will have to get a pigtail made, replace the sensor. With vss unplugged engine runs fine.

Glad you found it, if I can help further just let me know